Thursday, March 29, 2007

Balls Meets Bike

I was recently interviewed via email by the woman who writes Blog Without a Bicycle. She also is using her blog for a Women's Studies project, her's is at the graduate level, however, and far far better maintained than my own. (Yeah, so I might be a little lazy... or busy... busy sounds better). With her permission I wanted to post the transcripts on my blog as well as hers, as I feel like I might have actually said something, y'know, smart. It's not funny... but hey, it's about feminism. I have chosen to edit out a significant portion of the interview, as it focuses on my blog use. It just didn't seem as relevant to my particular subject matter. If you want to read the whole thing, it will be posted here.

A Blog Without a Bicycle: Do you identify as a "feminist"? How important, if at all, is
being/not being a feminist to your identity?

K.M. Aase: Yes, I identify as a feminist. I think quantifying how important it is is rather difficult though. For me being a feminist is as fundamental as being female. I am a woman, I am a feminist. To me it is hard to understand how anyone who is female can -not - identify with feminism. Because this is such an integral part of my self- understanding, though, I don't feel the need to announce myself as a feminist. If I am true to the cause, my actions and ideas should make it clear that I am a feminist without having to "Evangelize'.

A Blog Without a Bicycle: Whether or not you identify as a feminist, what does "feminism" mean to you?

K.M. Aase: Feminism is about choice and respect. For women, it is about having the opportunity to create your own destiny. If you want to stay at home with a brood of children, or be a professional athlete, or cure cancer, all of those should be equally valid options with no social stigma either from men or from other women. Feminism is the idea that a woman's future is based on her own skills, dreams, and desires, not a gender role or social norm. For men, feminism is about respect. The respect for women as spiritual and mental beings, not just physical. Respecting women to make their own choices in life. Respect to treat women as equals and not feel threatened by that equality. The third aspect of feminism, I feel, is the understanding that everyone is different, each person is an individual, and no two experiences are the same, and respecting those differences.

A Blog Without a Bicycle: Do you think that activism can be carried out online? What are the possibilities of such activism?

K.M. Aase: I think it's possible but likely less effective then carrying out activism in the real world. The internet provides a platform from which an idea can be expressed. However, simply expressing an idea isn't really 'active'. The internet can be used to provide information, which is a major component of activism, but information alone is rarely enough. Although the internet can be used to drum up support for a cause, without real-life action, it seems to me like it's just a lot of noise, a lot of people talking to each other, most of whom already agree with each other anyway. Of course there is online petitions, but it seems to me (and I admittedly have very little experience) that online petitions do not hold the same clout as actual physical paper petitions. To summarize, [I] feel that activism can be supported and furthered by online activities, but online work with out real-life action is only a prelude to activism.

A Blog Without a Bicycle: Do you think that feminist activism is being conducted online? If so, can you think of any examples?

K.M. Aase: I think the dissemination of information for feminist causes, as well as the platform to discuss feminist ideas is being conducted on the web, both are important adjuncts to feminist activism, but require more than that. For example: The internet can be used to provide information about safe sex, activism would be providing free prophylactics or teaching a safer sex class.

No comments: